Syrian Information Minister Hamza Mustafa said Friday in an extended interview with Syrian state television that Damascus “will not allow itself to be dragged into what Israel is planning through its provocations,” referring to the deadly confrontation in Beit Jen, near Mount Hermon.
Mustafa acknowledged openly that the Syrian state is currently “weak” after being liberated from the Assad regime, but insisted this does not diminish its demand that Israel withdraw from southern Syrian territories and halt “attacks and incursions” in the area.
“A Warning Bell for Israel”
The minister said the Beit Jen incident reflects a misreading of the regional situation by Israel.
“Israel’s logic of force blinds its eyes,” he stated.
“When the Syrian citizen is faced with life or death, he will defend himself, his state and his land by all means.”
Mustafa warned that the clash should be viewed as a signal to Israel, indicating that continued pressure could trigger broader escalation.
Damascus: Willingness to Address Israeli Concerns
Despite the strong rhetoric, the Syrian minister said Damascus is capable of addressing Israel’s security concerns and has no intention of becoming a launchpad for attacks against Israel. He emphasized that Syria’s priorities are stability and reconstruction.
In the same interview, Mustafa accused what he called “extremists” in the Netanyahu government of undermining progress toward any potential agreement:
“Every time there is movement toward an agreement, the extremists act with an approach of ‘escaping forward,’ exporting Israel’s internal crises outward.”
Heavy Casualties in Beit Jan Operation
The comments come after intense clashes Friday morning in the town of Beit Jan, at the foot of the Syrian Mount Hermon. According to Syrian reports, 13 Syrians were killed and 25 injured.
On the Israeli side, the IDF reported:
-
Two officers and one reservist seriously wounded
-
Two additional soldiers moderately and lightly wounded
IDF Operation Began at 3:00 A.M.
The incident unfolded during an operation by the 55th Reserve Brigade (“Spearhead”), which entered the town at around 3:00 a.m. to arrest two brothers described as activists of Jemaah Islamiyah. The two were suspected of previously planting explosive devices and assisting in the launch of a high-altitude missile.
Both suspects were arrested while in bed and without resistance, the IDF said.
However, immediately after the arrests, gunmen opened fire from roughly 200 meters at an IDF vehicle stationed at a nearby roadblock. Six reservists inside the vehicle were wounded.
IDF forces returned fire, killing several attackers. The two arrested suspects were transported to Israel for questioning.
Airstrike on Disabled IDF Vehicle
During the exchange, the IDF Hummer that sustained gunfire became disabled. As part of air support for the ground forces, the vehicle was struck by an Israeli air attack, the IDF confirmed. Wounded soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to Israeli hospitals.
Articles Archive
Top Categories
ABOUT IFI TODAY
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum
Comments