Washington moves to Phase Two focused on demilitarization and governance as Israel warns Hamas

wwwww

by Ifi Reporter - Dan Bielski Category:Government Jan 14, 2026

 The remains of the last Israeli abductee held by Hamas, Ran Gweili, have not yet been returned to Israel, despite commitments by the group, as the United States announced it is advancing President Donald Trump’s Gaza initiative to its second phase.

U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff said late Wednesday that Washington is moving ahead with Phase Two of Trump’s plan for the Gaza Strip — a stage centered on demilitarization, technocratic governance and reconstruction. The announcement made no mention of opening the Rafah border crossing, a move Israel has viewed as one of its last remaining pressure points to secure Gweili’s return.

Israeli officials said that, in the absence of concrete steps by Hamas, preparations are underway for a possible military operation aimed at dismantling the organization.


Rafah Crossing Remains Closed

According to Israeli officials, no operational order has been issued to open the Rafah crossing in either direction. The security establishment is awaiting guidance from the political leadership following Witkoff’s statement, which did not specify how Hamas would be disarmed or who would enforce that process.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has made clear that the return of Gweili remains a top priority and that Rafah will stay closed until that issue is resolved, officials said.

The Israel Defense Forces assesses that Hamas is unlikely to disarm voluntarily. If no progress is seen, Israeli security officials say the military is prepared to act, likely in coordination with the United States.

A senior security source said a proposed technocratic administration for Gaza “is not Israel’s responsibility,” adding: “Hamas must disarm — that is the American condition. If it does not, we will disarm it.”

Netanyahu Speaks With the Family

Following the U.S. announcement, Netanyahu spoke with Ran Gweili’s mother, Talik, according to a statement from his office. He said Phase Two focuses on the disarmament of Hamas and the demilitarization of Gaza, without an Israeli military withdrawal.

“The prime minister made it clear that Ran’s return is our highest priority,” the statement said, adding that the establishment of a technocratic governing body would not affect efforts to return Gweili for burial in Israel.

Netanyahu also stressed that information provided by Israel’s Coordinator for Prisoners and Missing Persons to mediators must be translated into “effective action on the ground.”

Talik Gweili later said the move to Phase Two does not mark the end of efforts to bring her son home. Gweili, a fighter in Israel’s southern district police unit, was killed on Oct. 7 while defending Kibbutz Alumim.

Technocratic Governance for Gaza

Phase Two of the U.S. plan calls for the establishment of a Palestinian technocratic transitional government in Gaza, formally known as the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG). Israel says committee members will not be affiliated with Hamas or formally represent the Palestinian Authority.

Despite Netanyahu’s repeated pledges that the Palestinian Authority will not govern Gaza after the war, Israeli and Palestinian sources say former senior PA officials and ex-security officers are expected to take part. Ali Shaath, a former PA deputy planning minister, is seen as a leading candidate to head the committee.

Peace Council and International Force

At the same time, Trump is continuing preparations to establish a U.S.-led “Peace Council” to oversee implementation of the plan. Former UN Middle East envoy and former Bulgarian foreign and defense minister Nickolay Mladenov is expected to manage the council’s day-to-day work and act as a liaison with Gaza’s technocratic leadership.

Mladenov visited Israel last week and met with Netanyahu and senior Palestinian figures. The Peace Council is expected to be formally unveiled on Jan. 23 at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

U.S. officials said invitations to join the council were sent out over the past 24 hours, declining to name recipients and noting that Trump will personally select its members.

Stabilization Force and U.S. Warning

Phase Two also includes plans for an International Stabilization Force (ISF) in Gaza. Israeli ministers were told this week that Washington is close to announcing its establishment. Previous reports have cited Italy, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Azerbaijan as potential contributors.

Israeli security sources cautioned, however, that the force is not expected to directly confront Hamas.

In a post on X, Witkoff said the United States is “launching the second phase of the president’s 20-point plan to end the conflict in Gaza,” shifting from ceasefire to demobilization, governance and reconstruction. He warned that Hamas must “fulfill its obligations in full,” including the return of Gweili, adding: “Failure to do so will have serious consequences.”

Phase Two, he said, will prioritize “the complete demilitarization of the Gaza Strip — first and foremost, the disarmament of all unauthorized elements.”

 
 
 
1083 Views

Comments

No comments have been left here yet. Be the first who will do it.
Safety

captchaPlease input letters you see on the image.
Click on image to redraw.

ABOUT IFI TODAY

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum

Testimonials

No testimonials. Click here to add your testimonials.