At least seven people were murdered and three were injured in terrorist attack in Jerusalem


by Ifi Reporter Category:Government Jan 27, 2023

At least seven people were murdered and three others were seriously and moderately injured this evening (Friday) in a shooting attack near a synagogue in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood in Jerusalem and in other locations in the area. The MDA initially reported that there were apparently around 10 casualties, and later announced the death of seven of them. This is the deadliest attack since 2011.
The terrorist who was neutralized by a police officer and a volunteer is a resident of East Jerusalem, Alkam Hayeri, with no previous security background. According to the commander of the Jerusalem Police District, Superintendent Doron Turgeman, he acted alone. The terrorist got out of a vehicle and opened fire at passers-by about 100 meters from the synagogue, then continued his killing spree and moved towards the synagogue where he shot at more passers-by. He tried to escape but as mentioned was neutralized. The synagogue in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood is routinely used as a kindergarten.
After the attack, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office informed us that he is "receiving regular updates on the serious attack in Jerusalem and will soon conduct a security situation assessment." His office then announced that Netanyahu would arrive at the scene of the attack - minutes after the arrival of Minister of National Security Itamar Ben Gabir - who refused to be interviewed on Saturday.
"It's mind control. I left the Shabbat table, you're right, the burden of proof is on us. It can't go on like this," he told those present at the scene. He talked to them and shouted along with them: "Death to the terrorists". The residents shouted at him: "It happened on your shift. We are being murdered." After that they shouted "Death to the Arabs, death to the leftists", then Ben Gvir tried to stop the calls. Defense Minister Yoav Galant, who is at his grandson's engagement ceremony in the US, announced that he will return to Israel. In the meantime, he is "receiving regular operational reports from the security forces."
MDA paramedic Fadi Dekidek, who arrived at the scene of the attack, said: "This is a very serious attack. We saw a woman and four men lying on the road. They suffered gunshot wounds and had no signs of life and we had to pronounce them dead on the spot. Three more wounded, including a boy and a 70-year-old woman, were evacuated in critical condition to Hadassah Hospital in Mount Scopus.
MDA paramedic Noi Sadeh told about another dead person: "When we arrived at the scene, we saw a number of wounded people lying down. On the boulevard, we saw a 30-year-old unconscious man with several gunshot wounds. We performed advanced CPR on him and evacuated him to the hospital during CPR, but unfortunately the doctors pronounced him dead."
Special forces, including a police helicopter, are scanning the area for aides to the terrorist, who may have escaped. Shortly after the initial report, the police informed that a large police force had been called to the scene. The Police Commissioner, Senior Superintendent Yaakov Shabtai, also arrived at the scene. "This is a serious and complex attack with a large number of victims. We are currently conducting searches in the area to rule out the possibility that there are more people involved who are walking around freely. The terrorist was neutralized by a police officer and a volunteer of the Israel Police, they prevented a larger attack and neutralized the terrorist," Shabtai said.
The residents complained that the response time of the police was too slow. "The police did not come for 20 minutes," said residents at the scene of the attack, "this is a shame and disgrace." "They didn't come, they think they're shooting because of weddings. My daughter called the police and said they were shooting here, she's shaking, she's scared. After 20 minutes, the police came, and he's slaughtering here." The police, on the other hand, claim that the initial report was received - and five minutes later the terrorist was neutralized. "From the moment the 100 hotline was called to the neutralization of the terrorist, only a few minutes passed," said a police official.
The attack comes a day and a half after the arrest operation of the security forces in the Jenin refugee camp, during which an exchange of fire developed in which nine were killed - most of them armed men affiliated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
The US ambassador to Israel, Tom Neides, referred to the attack which he called "a horrific act of violence", he noted that it happened "in a synagogue in Jerusalem on International Holocaust Remembrance Day". The ambassador also added that he is "shocked by this despicable terrorist attack on innocent people". .



No comments have been left here yet. Be the first who will do it.

captchaPlease input letters you see on the image.
Click on image to redraw.


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum


No testimonials. Click here to add your testimonials.